Jharkhand’s gross state domestic product for 2011 is estimated at $21.7 billion at current prices. Since it is rich in minerals, the state per capita income is likely to increase in the coming years.
Jharkhand has a concentration of some of the country’s highly industrialised cities such as Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Bokaro Steel City, Dhanbad and Ramgarh. It also has several firsts in India, including:
- Largest fertiliser factory of its time in India (since shut down) at Sindri, Dhanbad
- First Iron & steel factory at Jamshedpur
- Largest Steel plant in Asia, Bokaro steel plant, Bokaro.
- Biggest explosives factory at Gomia, Bokaro.
- Tata Steel has established country’s first coal washery at Ghato, Ramgarh district in the year 1951.
- First methane gas well at Parbatpur, Bokaro.